The News Tribune logo

Monday, May 19, 2008

Tacoma Stores I Miss

I enjoyed reading Kim’s blog about the years of friendship of the ladies who worked at Rhodes Department Store in downtown Tacoma. What strong women they must have been working in an era when many women did not work and may have been frowned upon. I have so many questions for them about their jobs and their lives.

This story also makes me think of other Tacoma stores which are long gone from our streets of glitter. If I could go back in time I would shop at Lyons Department Store for the latest girl’s fashion; I would buy Swedish Fish at the candy counter at Sears; I would order a tuna fish sandwich at The Grill in Peoples Department Store; I would buy a plastic doll at Woolworth’s and while walking down Broadway Plaza I would stop for a piece of pie at the Pie Pantry. I would also buy a uniform for St. Patrick’s School at Eve’s Youngland; I would buy a greeting card at the Proctor Drug Store and I would buy a donut at Henry’s bakery. And if I could remember the name of the children’s shoe store formerly at the corner of North 26th and Proctor, I would go inside and ride on the toy train.

7 comments:

JosephMcG said...

It's time to tell those stories...
how about the places we found fascinating when we were just pups...
the store where I could buy Superman and Captain Marvel Comic books, in Houston, Texas, was (unfortunately) six blocks away from my home... and when I spent my mother's change on that one Captain Marvel book, she gave me one horrendous whipping (short pants, and chubby legs...those legs were vulnerable)...
I remember that store (name... don't ask me, address, forget it... )
but I miss the Houston of my childhood... and Patty C, I hope other folks take up your invitation to remember, cry a little, smile a little, and enjoy being who they are a whole big bunches

thank you

Jaynie Jones said...

Sorry about your punishment, Joseph, for the comic book purchase. I cringed as I pictured your chubby little legs as a child with welts from the whipping...

Reflecting on the 1970s, going to Tower Lanes to bowl, to play pinball, to enjoy a chili burger, and a fountain ice cream soda was fun, too...but you'd never know it today to look at the dilapidated sign and vacant buildings surrounding it.

The downtown Tacoma location of People's department store and the Lakewood location were both wonderful stores and there are none like them anymore.

Their name summed it up -- 'People's' -- welcoming, classy, modern, contemporary, stylish, but neither snooty nor over-priced.

Lyons was already mentioned and it was a favorite, too.

Kim Thompson said...

I could really go for a Henry's doughnut right now!

Unknown said...

Hoagie's Corner on S. 12th and Mildred.

JosephMcG said...

I kept going back to that store(i was stubborn even then), and one of the reasons I am such a voracious reader is because I learned how to read because I thumbed my way through so many comic books...
"out of pain comes gain"

Patty Cake said...

Lavecio's on South 12th and Mildred too, Donald!

Flash said...

Gil's Deli (56th & Cushman)
Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips (6th Ave)