The News Tribune logo

Saturday, May 17, 2008

LUCK BE A LADY DON'T DIE-- A BOOK REVIEW


What a fantasy trip I just completed! Robert J. Randisi's mystery novel, "Luck Be A Lady, Don't Die", was one nostalgic page turning, keep the midnight light burning book.
Here's a quick summary of the story:"Vegas, 1960. Gamblin', drinkin', and everybody's misbehavin'. Six months ago, whiley they were filming Ocean's 11, the Rat Pack needed Eddie Gianelli's help to track down the mugh who was sending threatening letters to Dino. Now they're back for the premiere and it's Frank who needs Eddie's help. Seems a babe he was planning to meet with in Sin City took a powder-leaving behind her luggage and a stiff in the bathtub. She's on the lam, and it's up to Eddie to find her and figure out if she's a victim or a killer."

Randisi's writing style is crisp and clear. He draws pictures quickly; he frequently used a word, phrase, or created a scene that got me chuckling. And the story's twists and turns led to a hard, inevitable conclusion.


And Eddie Gianelli, the story's hero, was neither the greatest of saints nor the worst of sinners... he was honest, courageous, self-righteous, and emotionally insecure.








Looking for some relaxing reading this summer... check out Luck Be A Lady, Don't Die!
I found this book at my wonderful Martin Luther King Library, Tacoma, Hilltop...

Joey B, Sammy D, the Chairman, Dino, and Peter L ... I love you

Enjoy the trailer from the original Ocean's Eleven Movie

4 comments:

Stephanie Frieze said...

Thank you for the book review, Joseph and the little trip down memory lane. It sounds like a fun read. The Rat Pack Rock.

JosephMcG said...

I have been snapping my finger and strutting for a week now...

Jaynie Jones said...

Your blog posts are invariably thought-provoking or fun to read. I admire the extra effort you put into each one to create a multi-media extravaganza. Just try to keep 'em to 100 words or less...(wink-wink)

JosephMcG said...

Thanks, JJ... I'm just going to keep snapping my fingers and strutting... and I am in trouble now... I have found that on comcast... there is one music station that just swings...

look out, old Joseph Mac is going to strut really, really fine...