The News Tribune logo

Thursday, May 15, 2008

If These Walls Could Talk

I attended a networking event held tonight at The Commencement; a large condominium project being built in the tiny Town of Ruston. Their showroom is located inside the former Ruston School building. As a historian myself I always think first of the history and the lives a building such as this has touched over the years. Walking through the front door and as I reached the top of the stairs I saw a few historic photos of Ruston School and Point Defiance Park along with a brief history of ASARCO and Mr. William Rust, my favorite gentleman in Tacoma’s history. As I walked forward into the showroom everything else was new. New tile, new paint, new furnishings; all to entice you to buy one of their shiny new condominiums. My mind still wandered to the historic side of the building. If these walls could talk what would they say? How many children cried on their first day of school here? How many children met life long friends here? Who started a teaching career here? Who forgot their lunchbox at home? Who laughed? Who felt pain? What would Mr. Rust say about Ruston today if he were alive? In the celebration of handshaking and business card exchange my mind could not stray from the many questions I want to ask the walls, only if they could talk.

6 comments:

JosephMcG said...

Wonderful reflection... often I have visited places where I lived and caught myself getting caught up in old memories... laughter and tears shared, friendships begun and ended, nights filled with bright moments, sad moments...
Thank you for your reflection

Kim Thompson said...

Interesting stuff, Patty. Hey, you need to do a post on Rust; that would enlighten the neighborhood. I often think about who lived in places first in Tacoma. I know, my family home is very, very old. We found all kinds of COOL artifacts (dishes mainly) when we dug up our yard. One of the former owners of old, passed away in my childhood bedroom--I did not think this was creepy, but interesting. Old homes speak volumes--I am intrigued to listen!

Stephanie Frieze said...

I hope that the condominiums are affordable. Ruston is a lovely area, but I would not like to see it go the way of Seattle and price working folks out of town.

JosephMcG said...

Finally, the only home any of us may have will be in the hearts of those who love us...

Jaynie Jones said...

The Rust Mansion, my dream home, is presently valued at $1.19-Million.

The magnificent home was built in 1903. Make a point to pass by and see it at the corner of North 10th & I Street. But be sure to also drive around through the bumpy alley behind it to see the back side of the house, too.

The home speaks to a grander time in this city's history of industry. Its stately columns, grand carriage drive, crystal chandeliers, magnificent entry door, and all the minute details including the precision-cut blocks of stone that create the back wall of the property and all the ornamentation ringing the entire rooftop under the eaves is spectacular.

Stephanie Frieze said...

Profound comment, Joseph. I will have to take a drive over the Ruston area to dream.