The News Tribune logo

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer

It is my humble opinion that the best beer in the land of Tacoma, hands down, is the Point Defiance IPA brewed by Tacoma suds and grub icon, Harmon Brewery and Restaurant. And I speak from experience! I have tried all the lovely Harmon brews, but Point Defiance IPA still rocks the house. Check out this professionally written, culinary description (from the Harmon website):

POINT DEFIANCE IPA

Four types of malted barley, including a specially roasted Belgium barley make up the grain bill. Centennial, Sterling, and Amarillo hops provide the big hoppy flavor. Double dry-hopped, once with raw Centennial hops and once with raw Amarillo hops present this beer's huge hop aroma.
5.6% ABV


Isn’t that a pretty description? My take: strong, full, yummy. And the name of this beer, is Tacoma magic. Even better? You can get this beer to go! Check out the “growler” option in a big ol’ moonshine style jug!

My husband is hosting and organizing a local golf outing at Chambers Bay for his Bellevue buddies. Rick is going to have Point Defiance IPA as a treat for his golfers and I am going to score him a Gritty Tacoman T-shirt for a prize giveaway. Golf? Beer? Gritty Tacoman T-shirt? Throw in a little sunshine, crisp blue sky, and sparkling bay water, hey, there’s nothing better!

Enjoy the suds and sparkling sunshine to come Tacoma!

7 comments:

VW said...

OK, I'm gonna have to make my way down to Harmon and try some.

Let me add that a trip to Engine House #9 on Pine Street, just north of 6th Ave also brews up some mighty fine ales. Their Rowdy Dick and Scottish are my favorites, although I haven't tried them all yet.

This inspired me to do a post on some of the Canadian beers I tried. I'll have some brewery pics as well.

Look for it soon.

Thanks for enlightening me!!!

VW

Kim Thompson said...

Hey, VW:

I would LOVE to see a piece on Canadian beer. That would be AMAZING. Yeah, get down to Harmon--they've got a bunch to try (you can even get a little mini sampler, real cheap, too).

I like E9, too. I haven't been there for a long time--need to get back. I'll try your recommendations, too!

Kim

Patty Cake said...

Ahhhhhh I would like to comment about Chambers Bay but I can't because then they would never return my phone call!! LOL

Kim Thompson said...

Oh, Patty.

Ok, the whole phone call thing is totally LAME.

With the beer though, maybe they should have a beer garden and us to market it!

JosephMcG said...

I am considering going and getting something really refreshing... RIGHT NOW... thank you...

Kim Thompson said...

Hi Joseph!

With hot weather to come, a tall cool one sounds particularly inviting!

Stay cool!

Kim

JosephMcG said...

This O'Doul's is cooling me off right now... thanks for keeping us human and smiling