The News Tribune logo

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Rag 'N' Bone: Here Comes The Sun (?)

I love looking at late spring summer fashion online and in paper ads. I love the flowing, spaghetti strapped sundresses, the kicky tank taps, madras Bermuda shorts, decorative flip flops, punchy sandals and jute wedges, flowers in the hair, pony tails, melon colored lip glosses, tangerine and pink passion nail polishes, white purses, crisp linen, beach themed charm necklaces, and we go on. Ah….

But not here. Not now anyway.

I gaze out my window and see the thick charcoal gray squishy ooze that fills our spring skies. I am bundled up in my warm, functional sweatshirt, long pants, and warm socks. The sandals and flip flops are pushed further back in the closet, still new and eager. Yeah, yeah, the South Sound has some summer like conditions coming later this week, so I need to shut up or I’ll jinx it. Yeah, I know.

Yet, I just remember as a kid growing up in Tacoma spending more than half of my Fourth of Julys bundled up in a ski jacket and hat watching the evening fireworks burst over the bay. I remember sitting in my dainty Easter dresses and little sandals, shivering to the point of where the goosebumps were giving birth to more of their own kind. I went through my T-shirt drawer recently and realized that I needed a few more T-shirts, but then I ended up buying long sleeved T-shirts to “carry me through” to August.

And don’t you love it, when we get that unexpected blast of out-of-season sun, and South Sounders reach for the shorts and halter tops and it’s maybe, MAYBE 62 degrees?

And then, the pretty weather hits, and the summery, shimmery clothes come out from a long holiday. Then, there’s nothing better than summertime South Sound. Yes! It’s coming, it’s coming!

Readers/Bloggers: Share your spring to summer wardrobe advice, indulgences, foibles, and flaws right here, right now.

7 comments:

Get Some Hairapy! said...

While traveling in Amsterdam one April, I saw something that made me feel right at home. It was the first day of real sun after a long dark winter. All the pasty white folk had rolled up their sleeves and their pant legs and were basking in the sun on every surface available. Park benches, sidewalks and cafes chairs were full of blindingly fair skin and they were loving it. There was a noticeably more jubilant feel in the air than had been the day before. I had traveled half way around the world and felt I could have been right back home.

Kim Thompson said...

Hey, Aura:

Ah, a very familiar scene indeed! The sun brings out the best in all of us and it feels good on your skin (at least a little).

You know, I think of other countries who have less light then we do; I guess I shouldn't complain too much!

Kim

JosephMcG said...

I am going to have some great walking shoes... I need to get out and walk a lot; some swim trunks for sitting in the sauna and the hot tub, some fussy old sweatpants for walking, hobnobbing, and relaxing...
and a good disposition for helping Grit City grow in its rep as being a friendly city...

Kim Thompson said...

Honey, you are the epitome of Friendly. Burn up the streets and your fine new shoes, spreading sunshine!

Stephanie Frieze said...

Spring sure has seemed hesitant this year, but I understand she's due for an appearance this weekend.

Patty Cake said...

I rememebr trying to light sparklers a few Summers back on the Forth of July and it was raining so hard we could not light them; gave up and went inside to watch fireworks on TV.

Kim Thompson said...

Oh, Honey-child, this is the story of my life with the sparklers.