The News Tribune logo

Monday, March 30, 2009

A Whole Lot Of Loving Was Going On

That's the only way to describe the wonderful time I had at the crab dinner I attended at St. Therese in Seattle Saturday evening. I sat with my friend who had graciously paid for my week trip to Israel. What a delight Helen has been and is to me.
I was delighted to have a chance to share hopes and dreams with a volunteer who helped set up, serve, and clean up after the dinner. She is a mother of a mixed race child--- she is white and her husband is black. She is delighted to have found a school where her son's gifts are being affirmed by his teachers and his behavior is being sensitively and sternly being attended to by faculty, administration, and staff. She had nothing but good to say about the black woman who prepares meals for the children and has a definite way of helping them decide it would be a very good behavior change for them if they decided to cooperate with their teachers.
Another conversation got me fired up... and I decided to do whatever I could to make sure public schools got the resources they needed. I enjoyed talking to an African American male who has taught fourth grade in public schools for twenty years. "I am getting too old and tired to keep dealing with big classes and limited resources," he said. I thanked him for hanging in with the kids all those tough, frustrating years.


The food was great. The company better. And the money earned was to be used for scholarships for kids. Did I have a good time...














As you can see from the video below... I and a whole lot of folks enjoyed talking and eating and learning together and just plain loving each other...

6 comments:

Kim Thompson said...

Crab dinner? Yum!

You sure have fun in life, Joseph!

JosephMcG said...

Finally, Kim, I am realizing that connecting with other human beings is the real, real deal why we are on this planet...

food is good... loving and being loved... priceless...

Joseph

Lorraine Hart said...

Amen sweet brother!

Hafta admit...my funky imagination had crabs jumping up on the tables to do a Led Zeppelin number....

Kim Thompson said...

LOL!!!!

JosephMcG said...

You should have seen the wonderful women dancing away after the food was done and the tables cleared...

The music got way down there, girls,
I sure enjoyed watching the beautiful ladies
whirl

(went home just when the dancing was getting good... oh well, next life)
Joseph

Mizu Sugimura said...

I developed quite an appetite just reading your post .
It's really good to hear about all of the wonderful
work going on in our communities.