The News Tribune logo

Friday, March 27, 2009

A Spring Gift for Birdbrains!

Need a cool, unique, and inexpensive gift for a special kiddo or even an artsy and/or bird loving adult? Check out the new Alex Home Tweet Home kit! It's this darling unpainted birdhouse with this sweet and sturdy rattan roof and little windows and a door. It's just the right size for chickadees or wrens. What's neat about this kit is that it comes with WEATHERPROOF paints of all kinds of colors and some cool bird and birdhouse facts. I got one for my seven year old daughter and she LOVED painting her birdhouse. It turned out great. I think this would be a fun project for adults too! (Word of warning: these paints have the ability to do some staining, so use an appropriate work site to do these creations). To see a product picture, click HERE.

Now of course, you could order this online from Amazon; however, I recommend to shop local and visit one of my favorite stores in Tacoma, Teaching Toys and Books. Located in the historic and groovy Proctor District, this shop boasts wonderful and creative toys, books, and games, a friendly and knowledgeable staff, and FREE gift wrapping! Better yet, for those of you across the bridge, Teaching Toys and Books is opening up another location next month in Gig Harbor's Uptown Shopping Center.

On a final note, my daughter was so excited to see a couple of wrens check out the her newly designed digs! My son was watching too and said, "Hey, Mom! A bird and it's realtor are checking out Erin's house!"

Too fun!

5 comments:

Stephanie Frieze said...

What a neat idea for Spring, Kim! I know two kiddos with birthdays coming who would enjoy doing this!!

Kim Thompson said...

My daughter loved this project! In fact, I got one for myself, hee, hee!

Lorraine Hart said...

What a great craft idea Kim!

I think I want to come to your school!! xo

JosephMcG said...

Thanks for letting us share in your family's love for beauty...

Joseph

Mizu Sugimura said...

This story is absolutely adorable! I had to share it with a realtor friend of mine.