The News Tribune logo

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Can Anyone Tell Me?


In between some of the crazy storms, I've been wandering around the garden. I came across what looks like a tiny sapling with silver-grey bark, fuzzy leaves and these clusters of tiny pink flowers. Not a great pic, I know, but could anyone tell me what I have here? Right now it's all in a bit of a tangled mess. Any help from gardening neighbours would be appreciated! Thank you.


Ooh-la...we had such a beautiful double rainbow, after one of those icicle tempests. It ended right in the bay.

9 comments:

Kim Thompson said...

I am clueless about plants but, whatever it is, it is sweet and pretty!

Hey, guess what? I put out my hummingbird feeder and we got a little beauty just today! The kids and I are really thrilled! We also planted a "hummingbird" garden--in ground, deciduous fuschias, a butterfly bush, and wild flowers that hummingbirds love!

Stephanie Frieze said...

I have no clue what it is, Lorraine, but I want some! Pretty, pretty, pretty. You've been blessed by the fairies!

JosephMcG said...

I am clueless in Tacoma, Lorraine, but I love the plant... it is one great picture...
Joseph

Lorraine Hart said...

Ooh Kim...the butterfly bush is a fave with the hummers...and also the beautiful yellow swallowtail butterflies. See how fast those little jewelled F14's show up!

It is pretty isn't it...such surprises in the garden! Ah well...I suppose I can make up a name...wouldnae be the first time!

finfanpj said...

'King Edward VII' Flowering Currant or Red Winter Currant

finfanpj said...

Officially Ribes sanguineum King Edward VII

Stephanie Frieze said...

Lorraine, you have royalty in your yard! Sounds cool. I love currants.

Lorraine Hart said...

PJ, thank you sooooo much for your help!

Hmm...mayhap I shall have to curtsy when passing!

Are we talking num num num, edible currants here?

finfanpj said...

According to a webpage, "They're edible, though not the tastiest things raw, & birds usually don't eat them until autumn when sweeter choices are absent from the gardens."

I would check out this webpage first, though, to make pretty darn sure it matches up with your plant before eating off it.

http://www.paghat.com/ribeskingedward.html