The News Tribune logo

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Almost Done

Thursday, I fly back to Tacoma after spending another two months in the Belleville/Trenton area of Ontario. It's been a good trip and as the case last summer, I met a lot of great people and got a chance to renew some friendships from my last trip. I don't know if I'll be back. The Canadian Forces that we are directly assisting are recommending that we be retained for another year because they don't have the training, technical manuals or staff to take over sole responsibility for our equipment. Because if import/export laws, we cannot train them on equipment for which they have not received technical manuals. It's a slow process with road blocks from both the US and Canadian governments. Bureaucracy is a universal headache. So who knows? If Ottawa decides to keep us for another year, I'm sure I'll be back for another two month stint.

In any case, I thought I'd upload a couple of short videos to give you a small idea of what the local area looks like. This first one is taken from on top of Mount Pelion in Trenton. It's actually a big hill. Here is a picture of the sign explaining it's existence.



Essentially, it says that the hill was caused by a receding glacier. It's a type of hill called a "drumlin".

This is the first video. Sorry for the rumbling sound. It was a little windy today.

What I described as a hospital was actually an apartment building. The Hospital is the old brown building below it.

the next video was taken from the middle of the Belleville Bay Bridge pictured below. I walked from where I parked my car (where I was standing when I took this picture) up to the middle of the bridge. Again, it was a little windy so you get the rumble of the wind.

Here is the video:

And here is a shot of the Moira River as it runs through Downtown Belleville.

The level is down from last week. They were afraid it would flood out the northern part of the city. Lat summer when I was here, you could have walked across this river from where I am standing.

Well, I hope you got a little feel of the area. It really is quite beautiful here in the summer.

Stay dry, I'll see you all next Thursday!

VW

3 comments:

JosephMcG said...

Thanks for the tour... enjoyed being with you... and welcome home

Stephanie Frieze said...

Thank, VW, for showing me new sights. Has Winter held on as long back there as it has here?

VW said...

Glad you both like the "tour"!

Winter here ended about two weeks ago. We still have an odd snow pile and in fact, there is still a large one outside my office window on the other side of the ramp. At one point it was as tall as a C-130's tail. It's considerably smaller now. We've had some reasonably good spring weather. I'll post some pics today - sort of a then and now

VW