The News Tribune logo

Friday, December 26, 2008

The Worst Gift in the World

In these times of economic stress we need to be careful about how we spend our money. It is never fun to spend money on a substandard product, but when you have to be as careful as we have to be these days, it is even worse and I made a big mistake in the purchase of a lavender bath set that I intended to save for a friend’s birthday.

The packaging appeared to be a gift box with the contents artfully displayed and wrapped in plastic. Because I wanted to tuck the package away, I decided to lay the contents down in the box to save for the birthday two months away.

First of all, what appeared to be a lid to the box is only faux. It isn’t a lid at all. More importantly, and to my horror, the contents were affixed to cardboard with glue impossible to get off the bottles, jar, and tubes rendering the entire contents a disappointing mess. Rubber cement would have done the job and been easily removed. I am glad that I discovered this before giving it to an unsuspecting friend for what a job to try to make the contents useable.

My husband spent a significant amount of Goo Gone and 30 minutes of elbow grease getting the glue off one of the eight items in the box. He says that the company ought to consider marketing the glue instead of bath products.

I had intended to purchase another set for another friend, but will be careful not to buy anymore products from that company. I see that the manufacturing occurs in China. That may be the problem with the production. Normally I pay better attention to that. I am going to box it up and send it back to the manufacturer.

1 comment:

Lorraine Hart said...

Good for you...let the consumer be heard!