The News Tribune logo

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Confessions From A Former Dancer

And it went a little something like this….

During the summertime I took ballet lessons at the Jo Emery Ballet School . Ballet was something I had wanted to try for a long time. I even threw in a little modern dance for good measure. I looked to dance to dream a little, improve my athleticism, shake up my normal exercise routine and give my penchant for clumsiness the old heave ho, forever! Amazing grace and gracefulness!

Well, didn’t quite work out that way.

First off, my dance moves positively stunk. But I didn’t care. Hey, I was out there anyway, learning, laughing, and providing comic relief for Jo and her dancers.


Secondly, my body(specifically my right leg and foot) aren't built for ballet. I messed up my ankle first practicing at home. Then I messed up my knee; not sure how that happened. And the best for last—I sprained my foot and ankle tripping not on THE stairs, but A stair. One very silly little stair. My right foot is better, though regularly hobbled, from my past sporty running days and my life’s work of tripping over stuff. I guess, for now, my dancing days are done.

However, my fanhood days of dance have really only begun. Jo’s dancers are hard working, dedicated folks and the dance company is truly one of Tacoma’s artistic jewels. I got the inside track on that for sure.

So, South Sound, check this out: Jo Emery and The Tacoma Performing Dance Company is putting on their production of the Nutcracker at Tacoma’s Stadium High School Theater. Performances are:

Friday, Dec. 19th, 7:30pm
Saturday, Dec. 20th, 2pm & 7:30pm
Sunday, Dec. 21st, 2pm

Ticket prices range from $15 - $22
Purchase tickets by calling the TPDC Ticket Line: (253)752-8530

Happy holidays and happy dancing!

Kim

12 comments:

JosephMcG said...

Kim: you really know how to look life squarely in the face and laugh... and you got me thinking about the various brushes with being young, supple, and convinced I was the next best hero next to Superman I considered myself in the quickly passing years of my long, long ago youth...
You words dance very graciously through my imagination...

Thank you,
Joseph

Stephanie Frieze said...

Joseph said it all, Kim. We are so proud to know a gal that crossed something off her list of things to do. I was dancing along with you! I know your heart still is.

Kim Thompson said...

You guys! Aw shucks!

I think I need another new adventure though.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Stephanie Frieze said...

Skydiving? Bungee jumping? The Great American Novel?

Lorraine Hart said...

As long as you're moving something, you're ahead of the game. I just love that dancing is anything you want it to be...even if done from a chair...or done just by your hands. You still have the dance in you Kim.

Next? Perhaps you're ready for your close-up in an acting improv. class, where you can stretch those imagination muscles.

It's great to have a never-ending bucket list, don't you think?

Kim Thompson said...

You guys have cool ideas. Love that bucket list. Here's mine (in a quick, Reader's Digest version, no particular order):

1. Live in Sweden for 3 months.
2. Visit Paris and buy at least one ridiculous thing.
3. Visit South America and sun myself.
4. Spend a day with Buddhist monks.
5. Visit NYC and be a tourist, hit Bliss Spas, and stay at a swank hotel.
6. Write a screenplay. Sell it. Do the indie film fest route.
7. Dedicate my first book to Tacoma.
8. Design jewelry.
9. Help kids with learning differences.
10. Tour wine country (again) in CA and participate in crushing grapes.
11. Go on Trans 1 across Canada.
12. Cross country ski and LIKE IT (I hate snow, but love sports).
13. Dye my hair an unnatural color to human beings for a short time. 14. New Year's Eve in Vegas.
15. Living uber-urban-downtown, somewhere, no car.
16. Do something awesome for Tacoma to help.

Okay, bucket lists--hit it bloggers and readers!

Stephanie Frieze said...

Bucket List

Kim, your list is similar to mine! Mine, too, are in no particular order.

1. Spend a month at a B&B in rural Ireland
2. Take Amy to Paris—she’s developed a thing about Paris, maybe Kim, Amy and I can go together!
3. Learn to play the violin—sorry I gave that one up as a kid
4. Take my family and my father’s ashes to Kaneohe, Hawaii
5. Visit my daughter-in-law’s mother in Belo Horizonte, Brazil
6. Live in the International District of Seattle in an apartment over Uwajimaya’s
7. I, too, would like to visit NYC—we’ll take Lorraine as a guide
8. Join the Peace Corp
9. Have an organic farm
10. Visit Germany with my best friend who loves it
11. Become an Arlo Guthrie groupie
12. Visit Bath, England
13. Visit Jamestown, VA where my family started out, and then follow their path West.
14. Visit Iran—this is predicated on the crazies falling out of power and therefore is in my lifetime
15. Buy Josh a Frank Lloyd Wright style house, Frank an urban condo, and Nadir a farm

Kim Thompson said...

What an awesome bucket list! Paris it is!

Lorraine Hart said...

I'm certainly up for Paris too! then we can head down to my sister's country home near Limoges.

I've heard some whispers about a possible trip to NY next spring to reunite with my old band...you ready?

Did I tell you about dying my hair purple with blonde streaks...in a mullet? Well..that was the eighties and none of us had much fashion sense then, it seems!

I've spent the day with Buddhist monks...but I'd gladly do that one again with you anytime.

I'd also do the Trans Canada with you...though I can't count how many times I've driven that road. Ooh we could be dangerous...like Thelma and Louise!

Truth is...I'd travel anywhere I could and be happy to have companions. I think we're just going to have to do a world tour...perhaps following Arlo, Stephanie!

I'd love to swim with dolphins.
I'd love my own radio show in the disconnected dark.
Ditto on the book and screenplay...just add doing the soundtrack to my list.
I too long to go to Hawaii...that's back to the world tour thing.
I'd love to learn more and more and more...always.
I'd love to fly helicopters again.
Oh yeah...and I'd love to become an American citizen.

Mizu Sugimura said...

Like the bucket list idea... I'll have to think on this one..along with a few other more temporary lists I've promised some folks to consider. Meanwhile, I've sure enjoyed reading all of yours! Happy Holidays buddies!

Stephanie Frieze said...

And we would be honored to have you, Lorraine! Maybe we need to have a bake sale?

Lorraine Hart said...

I'm ready Stephanie!

Good to 'see' you Mizu! Hope you'll join us on the world tour.