The News Tribune logo

Monday, December 13, 2010

Local Students Write Love Letters to Their South Sound Hometowns

Readers and South Sounders: Tacoma School of the Arts Humanities students are participating in writing "love letters" to their hometowns. The writing exercise combines creativity, editing, and getting the letters published. Join me in celebrating these students and their wonderful letters in the upcoming letter series featured on the In Your Neighborhood blog. Read on and enjoy!

Dear Fir Terrace, 
You are not just the name of another development, you are my home. I would take your noble, cascading fir trees over a billion dollar sky scraper any day. I love each of your cozy homes with cheery smoking chimneys and welcome matted porches. I love taking walks in what is left of your little forest. I love that although places like you are getting bulldozed and smothered in concrete, I can still look into my backyard and see some wildlife. It is a shame that you are becoming rare. Your street held my first time riding a bike and my first time driving a car. One day, in about a year and a half, I will drive up that same street for the last time. But before then I wanted to say: Fir Terrace, I love you. 

Kailey McClements, Junior, 
Tacoma School of the Arts

2 comments:

JosephMcG said...

Great writing..I celebrate Kailey McClement

Kim Thompson said...

Aren't these letters great?