The News Tribune logo

Friday, December 10, 2010

Local Students Write Love Letters to Their South Sound Hometowns: Tacoma

 Readers and South Sounders: Tacoma School of the Arts Humanities students are participating in writing "love letters" to their hometowns. The writing exercise combines creativity, editing, and getting the letters published. Join me in celebrating these students and their wonderful letters in the upcoming letter series featured on the In Your Neighborhood blog. Read on and enjoy!

Dear Tacoma

You are like a brother, who one looks up to in the time of inspiration, who one gets frustrated with in a time of sorrow and helplessness.  The vastness of your landscape is unfamiliar to someone like me, even though I have lived here for so long.  When I am gone I miss the sacred and private places that even though public belong to and only me it seems.  That’s what Tacoma is, it’s personal.  It is your city and my city at the same time, Pleasing and disgusting people for years and years.  It is an acquired taste admired by the lovers and avoided by the simple.  Although those of us who know the wonder like those who love the taste keep on saying more for us, more for us. More Tacoma for us!!!

                            love,

                                            TJ  Hom

No comments: