The News Tribune logo

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Local Students Write Love Letters to Their South Sound Hometowns: Tacoma

Readers and South Sounders: Tacoma School of the Arts Humanities students are participating in writing "love letters" to their hometowns. The writing exercise combines creativity, editing, and getting the letters published. Join me in celebrating these students and their wonderful letters in the upcoming letter series featured on the In Your Neighborhood blog. Read on and enjoy!


Dear Tacoma,
   You are not my hometown! You are not even my home. I didn't even like you at first--but at present, it is you who is impacting my life most. So far, our time together has been short, but in this short time you have helped me to grow in a way I never thought I could. You have taught me things that I wouldn't have learned anywhere else, and introduced me to experiences that are irreplaceable.
   You have invited me to open myself up to the wonder of discovery--not only here, but in my own home and everywhere I go. You have given me more opportunities to learn and grow than I ever expected of you. The beauty of your buildings, the complexity of people, the puget sound, the joy of every experience--you have opened my heart to it all, and I thank you for it.
   In fact, when contemplating departure, and even after deciding to leave you behind, I found myself unable to. I came running back, wide open. The reason is simple: you make me feel alive. Now that we have connected, I feel certain that the impact you have left will remain with me forever.

Yours,
Rosie Koppelman, student
Tacoma School of the Arts

No comments: