The News Tribune logo

Friday, December 10, 2010

Local Students Write Love Letters to Their South Sound Hometowns: Olympia

Readers and South Sounders: Tacoma School of the Arts Humanities students are participating in writing "love letters" to their hometowns. The writing exercise combines creativity, editing, and getting the letters published. Join me in celebrating these students and their wonderful letters in the upcoming letter series featured on the In Your Neighborhood blog. Read on and enjoy!

Dear Olympia,
                I have known none other than you. It is your embracing rain and fog and occasional hopeful sun that has greeted me each morning. And the lullaby of crickets that have sung me to sleep as the stars looked through my window. In moments of the most intense stress, it was your refreshing, clean air that saved me and cleared my mind, as I would get lost walking along the densely tree lined paths. Occasionally I’d sit on a bench for long stretches of time, just staring at the water in complete calmness. I was not by myself. The nature surrounding supported and comforted me. How often these simplicities are taken for granted, but I will always appreciate them. Your seasons bring people together. Spring brings the opening of the Farmer’s Market where running into a familiar face between the crates of fresh, colorful fruit is as common as the rain. Summers spent at Capital Lake playing Frisbee, meeting someone new and inviting them to join in. Winters of snow and rain where families gather together in front of the fire or share a blanket, spending priceless time together. The endless colors of fall, the perfect time for a bike ride with a close friend. Each year that goes by you provide me with the opportunities to grow. I have known none other than you so far, but no matter what you will always be a part of me.  
Sincerely,
Melia Paguirigan, Student
Tacoma School of the Arts

No comments: