The News Tribune logo

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Local Students Write Love Letters to Their South Sound Hometowns

 Readers and South Sounders: Tacoma School of the Arts Humanities students are participating in writing "love letters" to their hometowns. The writing exercise combines creativity, editing, and getting the letters published. Join me in celebrating these students and their wonderful letters in the upcoming letter series featured on the In Your Neighborhood blog. Read on and enjoy!


11-28-10
Dear Weathervane Drive Street,
    You’re not a city. You’re not a town. You’re my quiet street. You wake me up each morning with plans for the day when there’s no school. You fill my days of being on the computer and spending time with my best friend Charles, and I do all that at my new house I moved in a few years ago. You provide me friendly neighbors to say hello to and a great house to live in. You inspire me to learn, to create, to walk, and to play. And you put me to bed each evening with nice video thoughts and a nice smile on your face.
    But you don’t just make me feel like I’m in a new street. You constantly make me think like I’m in my old street again. You remind me of my old friends and their families in my old street in Puyallup. You don’t even care  when I go trick-or-treating on Halloween, even though there are very much less kids around, but there are some very nice people to give out the candy to me and my brothers. You remind me of the absolute joy of being myself in my old/new home.
    You remind me how much I’m going to do in this place. You teach me how old this neighborhood is. You remove the screaming children and replace them with fewer cars and people walking about.

                                    Sincerely,
                                    Carly Petersohn, student
                                    Tacoma School of the Arts

No comments: