The News Tribune logo

Monday, July 6, 2009

Thanks Rick

Summer time... I remember many a lazy teenage summer... nothing to do but get under my grandmother's feet, watch television, or go to a movie. The good old days... hah!
When I got to college I put in some serious, sweat filled, muscle straining hours helping with college tuition. If I were working for the wages I made back in THE DAY... I would never darken the doors of any private liberal arts college, that is for sure.
Some of the young folks at Bellarmine High School are plugging away at bringing the cost for their education down... doing work study jobs during the summer... and one of the more visible ways I see teens making a difference here are out in our gardens...
Good for them.

And one of the gifts they have is their supervisor, Rick K... (who teaches on the side during the school year.) I had a chance to chat with him the other day.
Here is a video of our wonderful discussion. Thanks Rick!

3 comments:

Stephanie Frieze said...

I'll bet the students who have to work for their education appreciate it more!

JosephMcG said...

I was thinking the same thing...

Kim Thompson said...

I had to do it. I mean my freshman year in college I had a PLU sports scholarship and some academic scholarships. However, I got terribly injured and wasn't able to do sports. So, to get through the year, I lived at home and worked THREE jobs. One of the greatest lessons of my life!