The News Tribune logo

Friday, January 16, 2009

Living Martin's Dream

It is glorious that Martin Luther King Day, the day we honor the man who paved the way for Black equality, will be followed by the day we inaugurate the first African American President of the United States. It is thrilling to be alive at this time and despite the concern over the economy I feel as optimistic as I did last summer.

I have lived a lot of history. I was in 7th grade when John F. Kennedy was assassinated. In high school when they killed Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King. I watched the funerals of these brave men and wept. Now my tears are for joy.

Not since 1963 has Washington D.C. seen the likes of what will happen on Tuesday, January 20th. I am just as excited as…when I saw the Beatles. It ought to be a national holiday this year as we have the opportunity to witness history. We can tell our grandchildren and great-grandchildren that we lived into an era that saw Martin Luther King’s dream begin to be realized. When America put its collective heart where its mouth has been and decided to live the life for which Lady Liberty lifts her lamp.


Barak Obama carries a huge burden because so many hopes are pinned on this new president, but what American accomplishes depends on all of us, not just one man. On MLK Day we can ask ourselves what we can each do to make America a better country and live the dream.

5 comments:

Lorraine Hart said...

As it goes in the family, so it goes in the world. I hope we can go back to a national philosophy of the strength of our word...meaning, the walking that backs our talking.

I firmly believe in pragmatic optimism...working toward the best of hopes by dealing with what is.

I wish the incoming president all the best. I have hope for the country and for the world. First we celebrate, and then we all roll-up our sleeves and get to work. Let our word mean something...let our actions stay true to our word...let our respect understand that our space ends where another person's begins. Let's really work this grand experiment and lead in the best way...by example.

Stephanie Frieze said...

Hear, hear, Lorraine!

JosephMcG said...

I have been so pleased with the various candid conversations I have had with various folks, Black and White, about race... honest, sensitive, compassionate, risk-taking, listening... I hope that is happening for other folks; I also hope that the conversation continues, deepens, and grows...
Understanding, I think, leads to unity, and unity leads to giving and receiving one's material goods and oneself...

Joseph

Kim Thompson said...

What I think is cool is that my KIDS are so excited. Many kids I know are. Isn't that just the best?

Stephanie Frieze said...

I hope and believe it to be true, that regardless of people's political identity, that they are proud to live in a country which has put some of its prejudice behind it and elected President Obama. I've seen a lot of inaugurations, but this is special and I feel so excited.