The News Tribune logo

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Blue Day...Good Day

Grey snowy weather, the ups and downs personally, nationally, and internationally (I just shiver inside thinking of so many people from my country and other countries getting caught up in fighting and killing one another),and just plain getting old frequently brought a whole lot of light and darkness into my days during the last few weeks. Darkness... having to ask again and again: "why am I here;" "am I making a positive contribution to the world I live in;" "why is aging and dying so hard and scary." Light... "I helped my friend to laugh today;" "I apologized for my errors and did not to excuse my failures;" "I listened today and the person speaking felt relieved." Listening, understanding, valuing... I can do that...
Just like the Metal Man pictured here... I can serve by standing and waiting.

Overcast and thirty five degrees out here today and people were still moving. That's what we do... we keep moving...I thank the Lord that I have eyes to see, feelings with which to identify with other people, and a mind to put the connections together-- we all need to get up in the morning, take care of our natural business, reach out to others hopefully and lovingly, and get moving... to pray, to eat, to feel known and understood and accepted, to feel our pains and our joys... to find meaning in the ups and downs of life, to enjoy being alive.














I smiled seeing so many cars outside the movie theatre. In my imagination I smelled the popcorn, felt the quiet energy of folks sitting, being moved by the music and the color and the story of the film they were watching. We do choose to take time to be with one another and to let go of the ups and downs of the moment and let other people take us by the hand and move with us... surprising us, inspiring us, teaching us, loving us.













I'm chuckling to myself as I finish these few thoughts. Just like the bush in the picture here, we are always changing--tears and scrapes here, healing and growing there... with clean air, cleansing rains, the earth beneath our feet, the sun breaking through the clouds every now and then... we do keep going, don't we...?
















Don't We...

7 comments:

Stephanie Frieze said...

Great post and pictures, Joseph. This weekend we observed that the recession isn't keeping people away from the movie theater, including us. As in the Great Depression, two hours escape seems to be worth the price of admission for many.

Have a great week, Joseph.

JosephMcG said...

Laughter, being with friends, coffee, tea, or stronger liquids with friends... I went by the Y, Morgan Family, yesterday, and it was crowded...
I was blessed yesterday, witnessing people being together and caring...
I know such experiences are happening everywhere... I know that sadness and division and hurt are happening everywhere...
Life, life, life!

Stephanie Frieze said...

Libraries are enjoying higher traffic. Unfortunately some are facing closures due to government funding drying up.

I would like to believe that we are living to witness the breaking down of some divisions, Joseph.

JosephMcG said...

I am opening up more to folks from different communities and finding conversation with a number sincere, caring, and honest.

Joseph

Kim Thompson said...

I like the way you think Joseph and help me SLOW down and think.

JosephMcG said...

I had a great time, Kim, slowing down today... went to Morgan Family Y... enjoyed watching people walk or run around me as I did a solid ten times around the inside track... then went to the sauna, and listened to two men talking about burglars, moving out of the boondocks, setting up their homes like fortresses, and keeping away from their neighbors... (interesting, sad, and scary)... and then off to the hot tub, where for twenty minutes I SLOWED DOWN...

Loving slowing down... and thank you for your affirmation...
Joseph

Anonymous said...

Great Work Joseph!!