The News Tribune logo

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Seattle, I Can QUIT you! And You Can Too! (Bonus: Awesome Rules!)

When I used to leave our state, and my beloved South Sound, I said I was from "Seattle." Seattle is easy, big, and known. Tacoma (and my little enclave of University Place) were not known and would create a weird question, or two. So, I just used Seattle for ease of conversation.

On the Big Island, I have found South Sound love and knowledge. I met a woman from University Place, born and raised, graduated from Curtis High School. Her boys went to Wilson High School in Tacoma, not too far after me. Another gal at a shop asked me where I was from. I said, "Seattle." She responded, "Oh really? I have friends in Federal Way. Do you know Tacoma?" In past trips home, we met a lovely Hawaiian gentleman, who, it turns out, was our neighbor and lived about a mile away.

I quit you, Seattle! My island knows South Sound. And that's so totally cool. And interesting.

So I asked why.

Locals stated, it's the newer nonstop flights (Alaska Airlines) that brings the South Sound to the islands a lot more. There's a lot of us, to them. Gritizens, represent!

And for my final Hawaiian round up "paniolo" style (Hawaiian cowboy), check out Gritty City Woman for updates on my eyewitness account of the Hapuna Beach tragedy, amazing Hawaiian smells, and the Chinese Zodiac (Happy New Year). Click HERE to get all the action!

And, for my friends, readers, and bloggers, here are some rules that I had to share. Please read!

HAWAIIAN RULES

*NEVER JUDGE A DAY BY THE WEATHER

*THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE

*TELL THE TRUTH- THERE’S LESS TO REMEMBER

*SPEAK SOFTLY AND WEAR A LOUD SHIRT

*GOALS ARE DECEPTIVE THE UN-AIMED ARROW

NEVER MISSES.

*HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS - STILL DIES

*AGE IS RELATIVE - WHEN YOU'RE OVER THE HILL

YOU PICK UP SPEED

*THERE ARE 2 WAYS TO BE RICH - MAKE MORE OR

DESIRE LESS

*BEAUTY IS INTERNAL - LOOKS MEAN NOTHING.

*NO RAIN - NO RAINBOWS

*SAY - I LOVE ME- YOU’LL ALWAYS HAVE PLENTY

---From Kahuna Harry Uhane Jim, "Wise Secrets of Aloha: Learn and Live The Sacred Art of Lomilomi"

Aloha, Peace, and Love,

Kim

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,

great work! I agrre - I never say I am from Seattle when I travel. I say TACOMA! I am proud of living here and I love it.

Kim Thompson said...

Thanks and right on, Gritizen!

Lorraine Hart said...

Great to hear from you Kim...miss you!

I always say I live on the Olympic Peninsula, with the closest city being Tacoma.

The more you tell me about Hawaii...the more it fills my bucket list!!!

Stephanie Frieze said...

Until the 1962 World's Fair no one knew where Seattle was. Even though we lived in Bellevue, we said we were from Seattle because no one knew where that was. Of course that was when downtown Bellevue was a dusty crossroads with one little mall.

I love your words to live by, Kim.

Kim Thompson said...

Hi Lorraine and Stephanie!

I am glad you like the rules. These are adapted from "Kahuna" (healer) Harry Jim Uhane. I like these rules and wanted to share them with you all. I discovered the writings of Harry Jim recently. I like to do a Hawaiian study subject once or twice a year. I've done animals, plants, volcanoes, and last year I did the Hawaiian language. This year, I chose (and rather ironically) Hawaiian spirituality and healing, from the ancients and modern day.

Lomilomi (means "healing touch" or "healer")is an amazing process that has helped many people. Harry Jim (born in Kauai, now lives in North Puna on the Big Island) is one of the most well known modern day kahunas.

Kim Thompson said...

Oh, by the way Lorraine, I shall be popping over to Gritty City Woman to comment on your great comments and answer your question!