The News Tribune logo

Friday, February 27, 2009

Puget Sound Grocery Bills Skyrocket

This morning I heard a report on KIRO 97.3 FM about soaring grocery prices in the Puget Sound area. Did you know that we pay 15% HIGHER for our groceries than many other cities/states in our country? Did you know it's CHEAPER to get groceries as a resident of San Francisco or Boston?

Break out the gardening gloves. Perhaps Stephanie can host us all for a "garden party" and we can all get growing!

Here's the link to the report: just click HERE.

5 comments:

Stephanie Frieze said...

Hey, Kim. My interview with Ruby de Luna (what a beautiful name) aired yesterday. I was so relieved that I didn't sound like a dork. Since Ruby came we have planted snow peas and when we think winter is over will plant the rest. We all need "Victory Over the Recession" Gardens!

Kim Thompson said...

I didn't know your interview was yesterday! Can I stream it online!!

You could never sound like a dork!

Yes, we need gardens. I have a little bare plot ready to do something with. But I am a black thumb and kill stuff. Hey, let's have a spring blogger potluck picnic and talk garden!

Lorraine Hart said...

Give us a link to the online interview Stephanie, I'd love to hear it.

I'd like to try some container veggies this year. Our landlord won't allow a veggie garden or a compost.

Kim Thompson said...

Lorraine for containers I have actually succeeded with herbs (basil, rosemary, thyme). My mom uses strawberry pots for her herbs and it looks really cool, too. I've grown peppers (believe it or not) in pots. I kill tomatoes. I like do lettuce greens in containers, too. Those are pretty easy.

Stephanie Frieze said...

Check out Square Foot Gardening: http://www.squarefootgardening.com/ The book is available through Pierce Co. Library system.