The News Tribune logo

Monday, February 9, 2009

My Journey


I am headed to Tacoma General's Sleep Center Tuesday evening. I found out six years ago that I had sleep apnea... during the time we fall asleep, the brain stops stimulating the muscles in our throats, the airspace behind our palates and tongues get smaller. Some of us end up with our airways beomcing too small, our bodies lose their ability to breathe properly, we become strangled or suffocated from the inside.







Heart attacks, strokes, death can follow. We go through our days tired, irritable, incapable of focusing, feeling lousy. For more very important details, check out the website where my doctor, Daniel Clerc, M.D., is highlighted--
http://www.compsleep.com/


After my conversation with Doctor Clerc Monday, I am very grateful to: my mentors, supervisor and coworkers at St. Joseph's Hospital, my primary physician at Allenmore, my friends in Marriage Encounter, those wonderful folks who have stuck with me for many, many years, and our Loving God, who never fails to watch out for me...

because I have finally gotten past that, "well, I'm ok, I'll leave the doctors alone until I really feel I need them," attitude... (thanks B H D for driving me to the hospital tomorrow evening and bringing me home early, early,
early Wednesday morning-- World Healing Day!!!---)




I feel comfortable and I look forward to getting great care. Look forward to regular posts following this one... I think my way of approaching life is about to take a new, important twist. I am honored to be able to share it with you. Here's some quick video info on sleep apnea...

6 comments:

Stephanie Frieze said...

I have four friends who have had the sleep study done and use the machine at night. It has made a big difference in their lives. One decided not to use the machine, fell asleep driving her car, crossed the center line and hit someone else head on. The person she hit was not hurt, but she's been in pain with a bad back and has no car so if someone is chronically tired it's a good idea to get check out and use the machine!

JosephMcG said...

I have had to fight off my need to fall asleep at the wheel a few times. Until I started taking apnea seriously yesterday, I just figured that was one of the things everyone had to deal with daily.

So many aches and pains I have not paid attention to...

Joseph

Kim Thompson said...

Joseph, I have sleep apnea, too and had the study done a few years ago. Mine is quite mild and has actually improved over the years. The docs think that it is related to my asthma and allergies. Personally, I thought the sleep study was very miserable physically, but it yielded great and valuable information. In the event that mine worsens, I understand the machine and what I need to do to feel better.

JosephMcG said...

Kim: I am smiling at your description of your experience... yesterday my sleep doctor, Daniel Clerc was talking about the different ways men and women process pain... women are right there with the feelings; men... may never get there... and there are chemical differences responsible for the different ways we react...
I am bringing a book, a radio, and a whole lot of good humor...

we shall see
it would be great to describe our varying night moments... like three weeks ago when I was going to have my annual meeting with my religious superior (the one who moves you for place to place)... I did not sleep the night before the meeting...
It took me three days to put the sleepless night and my meeting with him together...

Let's hear it for the apnea... Joseph McG

Lorraine Hart said...

I will sing a lullaby on the air tonight Joseph...wishing you sweet dreams while good information is gathered.

Lotsa love, my friend. xoxoxo

JosephMcG said...

I hear you, Lorraine, in my imagination and I am smiling.