The News Tribune logo

Friday, September 19, 2008

WASH YOUR WIPERS



Making Do in Hard Times

This morning on the way to work through the mist I turned on the windshield wipers I was reminded that we haven’t had rain in a while. Our cars and streets are dirty and the wipers have been hibernating. The wipers on my car only smeared the mist across the windshield. This brought to mind a tip from my mother years ago, clean your windshield wipers with vinegar before you head for the auto parts store.

Like everything else these days, windshield wipers don’t seem to last as long as they did in the ‘50s and ‘60s, but by keeping yours clean, you may extend their life.

4 comments:

Kim Thompson said...

Oh I had this experience too. But I didn't mind. I don't mind the cooler temps. I am ready for fall. Vinegar and all.

kinsmed said...

Good use of the blog, Steph.
This could have really saved me $25 a couple days ago.

Stephanie Frieze said...

Rats, Kinsmed. We've been dry in GH, or at lest I hadn't driven in the wet stuff for a long time and hadn't even thought about my mother's tip in a while.

Kim, Thursday I was walking between buildings at school (I largely work in rooms with no windows) and saw the gray day and smiled. I love Fall!

Mizu Sugimura said...

A thoughtful public service announcement as well.