The News Tribune logo

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Quickie... A Novel By James Patterson And Michael Ledwidge


James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge's Quickie socked it too me...kept me turning pages for three straight days! I loved the main character, Lauren Stillwell. Quickly I felt at home with her in New York City and its surroundings-- now shocked, then angry, saddened, and wanting desperately to get even with her husband. And really wanting a happy ending and....










Here's a quick summary of the story
James Pastterson's steamiest summer thriller yet starts with a one-night stand gone terriby wrong.
A Stolen Kiss
When she sees her husband with another woman Lauren Stillwell's heart nearly stops beating Their marriage is perfect, she has a great job, she loves her life. But his betrayal turns her into something she never imagined she could be- a woman lusting for revenge.





Was Her First Crime
It was supposed to be a quickie, a way to even the score. But Lauren's night of passion takes a shocking turn when she witnesses an unexpected, unbelievable, deadly creime. Her horrifying secret threatens to tear her life apart, pitting her need to uncover the truth against her fear that the truth may be too horrible to bear. And whichever choice she makes could cost her dearly-her job, her marriage, even her life.






Quickie got me feeling and thinking about a lot of good old human stuff:
a. I felt afraid because I know that, like Lauren Stillwell, either out of fear or anger or loyalty to friends, I might choose to ignore what is going around me, lie to protect those about whom I care, or strike out at those who abandon or betray me.

b. I find it easy to imagine how uncomfortable one feels when, like Lauren, is considered by friends and other individuals in one's profession to be trustworthy when one is anything but.

c. I wanted the story to end with good winning over evil... but...

d. Quickie left me just a little more able to say "every now and then, life gets really messy... try to keep walking, ok?!"


I got this one at the Martin Luther King Library!!!

2 comments:

Stephanie Frieze said...

Joseph, thank you so much for the review. I, too, like happy endings, but the ones that are more realistic give us a chance to reflect on, as you say, keeping going. I just got done reading that sort of book and plan to write a blog soon.

JosephMcG said...

I like the ones that say, "you can make it through the mess if you try..."
or... sometimes you don't make it at all...

a good shot of reality keeps me sharp...

looking forward to your book blog