The News Tribune logo

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A CHILLI BURGER MAKES

My day began with one of the patients telling me that she had been thinking about me earlier that day with great joy. WOW...



To make the day unbelieveably, overwhelmingly beeutiful, my friend, F, had invited me to join him for dinner at the Red Robin. I was so very pleased. I had expected to come home, after work, tired, go to the kitchen and boil or micro-wave whatever I could put my poor, tired hands on. But, now, my friend was taking me out to dine at the Red Bird. WOW... Check out those certificates...




Early evening... as Louis Armstrong sang, "The joint (Red Robin) was jumping." Families out for a great evening with their children. Friends looking forward to being quickly and courteously served.
And Fred was smiling as we headed in.
Isn't he one beautiful dude...WOW





All day I had considered all kind of healthy options... a chicken burger without cheese, a big salad; but I finally had to go with my inner overwhelming desire... Fred ordered a cheese burger, and your friend, Joseph, from Houston, Texas, ordered a chilli burger... check out (stop that lip smacking and that drooling, where's your napkins) Fred's burger and salad above WOW




That chilli burger took me back to my early years in Seattle, at home, where there was always a simmering pot of red beans and chilli and a humongous size pot of rice waiting for me and my cousins when we got back from school (I would eat a bowl of chilli and rice for breakfast too) WOW


Are you ready for my giving you a taste by taste critique of that burger.... WOW
Enjoy the video...

7 comments:

Mizu Sugimura said...

Joseph - Just saw the YouTube piece. You're a natural... get ready to go national. :)

Stephanie Frieze said...

Was Tuesday chili day? Seattle Flight Service had a chili cook-off yesterday.

And yes, Joseph, I think you should begin answering a few casting calls on the side!

Jaynie Jones said...

Mmm-mmm, good!

Stephanie Frieze said...

I am one of those rare birds for whom chili is not in the least enticing. Quite the opposite, because it upsets my stomach. But I know a showman when I see him. :-)

JosephMcG said...

Thank you, thank you very much...
I had a really good time at the Bird, a very good show...seeing as my friend, F, and I, did not have family members with us, we got immediate seating in the lounge area... the smell of the various strong drinks tickled my nose so much and addled my brain to the extent that I asked for water only (without ice... by gosh, by golly)...
and the person who spoke with such gusto about that burger and the good old days in Houston, Texas (when my stomach still could work with really hot links too... the chilli burger went down well and there was no hot stuff on it) was on a communal high... let's hear it for the Red Bird's Lounge, and ... oh, oh, somebody just grabbed me by the back of my collar with a big hook... SEE Y'ALL LATER

Kim Thompson said...

Joseph, you look FABULOUS. And happy! I love your sense of fun and playfulness.

I suspect life is going well for you?

JosephMcG said...

I'm in my room waiting for the time to pass... yuck... shuttle is picking me up at 3 am (that's right, am) to take me to Sea-Tac Airport... plane at six to San Francisco, wait three hours for plane to Ontario, Cal... three days there just getting delightfully transformed by various workshops, play times (disco music, coffee house, live dances performed by folks from the Phillipines)at the Sheraton...
that 3 am thing scared me--- I was worried about not getting up in time... a friend said she'd call me at 2:15 am... wake up call and I was humbled that anyone would take the time...
Oh, the convention is a marriage enocunter experience, so I'll get a chance to spend time with some cool priests from all over the country and some coooool couples too...
What can I say... I'm feeling really, really good...
Best to all