The News Tribune logo

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lil' Bitty Gritty Citizens!

The last day of school in the University Place school district is this Friday. I will have a 1st grade graduate and a 3rd grade graduate. Guess what my kiddos want to do on the last day of school to celebrate the end of the school year and the beginning of summer? Not what you'd think. They want to hit downtown Tacoma's Pacific Avenue and go to Hello Cupcake. This has been planned since May. They even discussed having lunch at the Harmon Brewery and Restaurant just prior.

Rock on! I am very proud of my little Gritizens! Way to go kiddos! School's out--Gritty City style!

5 comments:

JosephMcG said...

You are one great writer, coooool mommy, with some very alive kids...
It is just tremendous knowing you

Stephanie Frieze said...

Congratulations, kids! I remember how happy I was each year when my own got out for the summer. I loved having them at home (I still do, truth be told) and long lazy days of play.

Kim Thompson said...

Ah, Joseph, you are so sweet. And yes, my kiddos are very lively--they keep life quite interesting.

And yes, Stephanie, like you, I am very pleased to have the kids this summer home with me--it will be great not to worry about stiff scheduling for a bit.

JosephMcG said...

Thanks, Kim, I look forward to hearing more about the kids and summer because what you share is
REAL
rich in good life stuff
eternally significant
affirming of what is true and beautiful
life giving...like the feelings engendered by a sincere, trusting hug

Jaynie Jones said...

For fun with the kids at home sometime this summer, bake cake batter in ice cream cones (sugar cones with the flat bottoms, not the pointy-tipped sugar cones).

Place the cones into a muffin pan, fill each cone with cake batter and then bake as you would, if you were using paper cupcake liners.

As the cupcakes bake, the tops will rise and become rounded. They'll look just like real ice cream cones once you've added icing or frosting to them. They're easy to ice, too. Just hold each cone upside down in the bowl of icing and give it a quick twirl. Voila!

"No muss, no fuss." Great fun! Easy for the kids to carry and consume without making a mess.