The News Tribune logo

Monday, July 26, 2010

Ummm! Hah!

Hot dusty days... and here's those tools... digging and shoving and pushing... all in the name of Self Directing: taking responsibility for making things happen in one's own life for one's own well being
I remember those late teenage years when I got out there, working as a swamper on a St. Vincent de Paul Truck back in the fifties...getting to work at 7:30 am in the morning, pushing, pulling, and shoving at boxes and various kitchent utensils...
First week I was working, I was sure I was not going to make it... dropping things, pushing on a stove or a refrigerator and not getting the item to budge...
After one month I knew I could handle any challenge the truck driver threw at me... I can remember him smiling at the end of the second month..."you're learning, son, "you're learning..." I wonder what thoughts were racing through the young woman's mind in this picture... easier, happier times... hard times ahead, friends and family... or just: "I am going to make this work right now!"

Moments I recall from every summer... that first paycheck and I knew I had sweat blood to earn every cent... and saying goodbye at the end of the summer... feeling both relieved and sad...
I gave the work my best shot and I knew I had hung in there through a very long, hot, and exhausting summer...I congratulate my friend, M--t, for getting up every day and giving this tough task of replacing the old wooden steps going down Bellarmine Prep's Hill with new ones... M--t, you are A Okay with me!!!!!

Let's give every hard worker you and I know a big hand...

2 comments:

Kim Thompson said...

You reminded me of all the cruddy, sweaty, dirty, exhausting food service jobs I had as a teen. My first year of college,I worked three food service jobs at once and carried a full class load. I played as hard as I worked. Crazy year. And, I aced all my classes. Seriously. Weird stuff! But I proved to myself that I could do really just about anything.

Lorraine Hart said...

My husband used to come home from roofing on hot summer days, just burnt and done-for. BIG SHOUT-OUT to all those who labour in the great outdoors. Thank you for giving me this opportunity Joseph...and, as always, a great song!