The News Tribune logo

Monday, July 5, 2010

Our Home Town 4th. of July Parade!





I hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th. of July. Here in Home we did it up right, with our Home Parade along the water on A Street. This was my first July 4th. parade and, let me tell you, we do it our own way in Home! Everyone gathered by ten and soon we were off...fire engine, pirate boats, sparkly prince and princesses, tractors, ride-on lawnmowers, bicycles, wagons, bright and happy people, flags waving, bubbles, and (be still my beating heart!) Navajo, a beautiful apaloosa who is friend to my friend Janet.

This was a different feeling for me, rootless as I have been for most of my life. I knew my neighbours and we welcomed each other with hugs and smiles. Everyone was united in our stand for the August Fire Levy (more about that and the lies of a certain Fire Commissioner in another blog to come) and signs were everywhere. My good friend Chuck West, running for the Pierce County Council, a wonderful advocate for our Key Peninsula in every way possible, was there with his lovely daughter Lilly. I also met Anne Nesbit, courageous female firefighter...right on! She is also a very kind soul who gave my husband and I a ride back down A Street, when my hips couldn't make the walk back down. Squeeeeee! I was in a fire engine!

For the first time, I have a Home town. I can feel the comfort, finally, of roots happily digging their way into the very soil, and grabbing the rock below. I am embraced by a community...and embrace them back. Yeah, this is the right Home for me, full of good folks doing good deeds, a thriving Arts culture and so much more. Throw out your rural myths and legends of the Key Peninsula. We have characters out here alright, and we're proud of being so! We do it our way, in a tight and loving community. We allow ourselves to be different, and give each other the respect due. We work it, like America is supposed to. I may not be able to afford the official price of admission, but I'm home.
Oh yeah and stay tuned, we're having our very own Woodstock Weekend in early August. Peace, Love...and Music for everyone! Happy Birthday America, thanks for having me.

1 comment:

JosephMcG said...

Isn't it wonderful getting rooted, knowing folks, learning with them and loving it... congratulations, Lorraine... keep singing that Isn't Love Wonderful song in your own special way... I need to hear you...