The News Tribune logo

Friday, October 24, 2008


Everyone is concerned that November 4th be representative of American democracy and not an embarrassment. Cheryl has written about the importance of making sure that you won’t be prevented from voting on that day.

There is another concern regarding absentee ballots. If you are voting by absentee ballot be sure to either take it to the Post Office or to one of the express absentee voters booths located around the area. Signed ballots can disappear out of mailboxes outside of your house. For a list of sites:
http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/abtus/ourorg/aud/elections/voterservices/expressbooths.htm

2 comments:

JosephMcG said...

Stephanie: I am happy to say that my ballot is safely posted... and I feel so relieved... no more need to put any energy into keeping folks from trying to convince me that they know the best way for me to vote...

Ready for the next step
Joseph

Stephanie Frieze said...

Perhaps because I grew up as the white daughter of a Boeing engineer in Bellevue, but up until 2000 I do not remember such machinations associated with voting. I knew that various groups such as Black Americans and Native Americans and even women had to fight for the right to vote, but once granted I thought you went and voted and then your vote was protected by the government. My mother worked at the poles at my elementary school which seemed cool at the time, but it never occurred to me that certain Americans would want to cheat by tampering with ballots. Our freedom to vote is a glorious function of Democracy and ought to be viewed as sacred as the Christian communion. Oh, and I think that election days ought to be national holidays—at least for the Presidential election.