The News Tribune logo

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Apple Cider Time In The Neighborhood

I love walking around my neighborhood. It's probably one of the best in the city. It has it's share of problems, but the people are wonderful and it's a great neighborood to walk through.

On nice days, I often take my granddaughter Aiyanna (or Ya-Ya as everyone calls her) on a little bike ride. She pedals her trike along as I walk close behind. We always seem to have a little adventure. We watch the squirrels run and gather acorns and seeds. We tell stories and imagine all kinds of things.

Today as we were out, we passed by the Epworth-Lesourd United Methodist Church and there were several peo
ple out front makeing apple cider. Ya-Ya and I decided to take a closer look.


The Apples get ground up in big chunks before pressing.


A little video of grinding up the apples.


And once enough apples have been ground up, they press the juice out of them!

We never know what we will encounter when we leave the house and venture out into our neighborhood.

VW

2 comments:

Stephanie Frieze said...

Wonderful glimpse of your neighborhood on a Sunday, VW! Thanks for taking me along.

JosephMcG said...

Good to read about and see people working together...
Love to hear about the problems in the neighborhood and what people are doing to meet them...
Joseph