The News Tribune logo

Monday, March 31, 2008

NINA SIMONE BRINGS THE SUN


Lorraine sent me an email today that included Nina Simone's rendition of Here Comes The Sun.
Nina is one of the great angels in my life. I saw her live in San Francisco in the late sixties. As she sang, "Young, Gifted, and Black," tears streamed down my face. I was caught up in the joy and pain of my childhood/teenage/young adult memories-- the ups, downs, gains, and losses. And I knew that I wanted to help make life a wonderful experience for all the people I would meet.


Beautiful children

This picture and many more like these can be found on the website, www.trinitystores.com, San Damiano Foundation Collection.

Here is a poem by Nina Stiles that catches the chill and warmth and brightness of this beautiful Monday
Thank You, God
Life can hold such lovely things!
Apple-blossom-scneted springs;
Purple mist of haze and heather;
Books to read in stormy weather.



Common as a cooky jar,
Things I hold the dearest are:
A small white house, a small brown dog;
Sunlight breaking through a fog;
And as sweet as summer rain,
Understanding after pain.
Life holds all these lovely things.
Thank you, God, foir all it brings.



I am thankful
1. I woke up this morning
2. People who care about me contacted me by phone or email
3. Lorraine sent me You Tube with Nina Simone singing with which I am ending my reflection
4. Today I can laugh and cry and live with other living creatures
5. Right now I can help make this world a better place for all of us





4 comments:

Patty Cake said...

I LOVE Nina Simone!!

Lorraine Hart said...

How could anyone NOT love Nina Simone...

"...my baby jus' cares for me..."

I would've given my left...anything...to have seen her in live performance.

Patty Cake said...

Bridget Fonda also loves Nina Simone and I would LOVE to meet Bridget someday both because I think she is a great actress and because I want to talk to her about Nina!! heheeheheee

JosephMcG said...

Anyone want to discuss Nina leaving America and settling in Paris... another story of an artist who gave up on us...