The News Tribune logo

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Drama In The Funny Papers

AAIIIEEEEEE!!

As I look out my window this morning, big fluffy flakes of cloud-dandruff (I won't say the word, I won't, I won't!) are obscuring my view across Joe's Bay. Excuse me Mama, did you not get the memo about Spring...I mean, we moved the clocks early and everything! Oh I know, I know, it won't last. Who am I to question the grand scheme of things? Usually I'm a go-with-the-flow kinda girl and can remain annoyingly unruffled...but you see...

I'm going through Doonesbury withdrawals.

It's as if a major chunk of my lifetime friends decided to go off on a twelve-week cruise and only left me a quick note in Sunday's Insight section. Perhaps I could've worked up to the adjustment, had Gary Trudeau sent me a personal email, but who am I to the ol' Walden gang? Never mind that I've been a pal of theirs since my teenage years; that's the way things go in the funny papers...oops, Op-Ed page.

I can understand that the daily (and I mean daily) grind of putting out a prize-winning comic, especially one that allowed its characters to grow in real time and events over the years, can get very wearing. On top of that, Gary works phenomenally hard to give the troops real support...and a voice. Google "The Sandbox" sometime and you'll see what I mean.

Gary darlin', I do understand you could use a bit of a holiday. I know you deserve it and, don't worry, I'll be right here when you get back. I'll be okay...really...it's just that it's snaining or rowing outside my window and the paper feels lonelier without my pals to give me liberal laughs.

I need another cuppa. Anyone out there missing BD, Mike, Joanie, Mark, Zonker and the rest of the crew?

No comments: