The News Tribune logo

Friday, December 10, 2010

Local Students Write Love Letters to Their South Sound Hometowns: Tacoma

 Readers and South Sounders: Tacoma School of the Arts Humanities students are participating in writing "love letters" to their hometowns. The writing exercise combines creativity, editing, and getting the letters published. Join me in celebrating these students and their wonderful letters in the upcoming letter series featured on the In Your Neighborhood blog. Read on and enjoy!

Dear Tacoma,
            You are not the place I would call my homes. At the end of the day, you are not the place that I reside. You are not where I was raised, but where I have grown.
            You are days full of aching feet from walking. Days of jumping in puddles with friends, pretending that we were transported back to a time where life was much easier. You are moments of holding my breath, walking through the noxious plume of hops on Pac. Ave. You are the “attack of the link mob”, and the “I’m sorry, we are experiencing technical difficulties.” You are my first experience of public transportation, my first dose of trouble-making, my first love, first heartbreak, and my first “laugh till I cry” moment. You are the indescribably friendships, and the backdrop to my steps toward the future. You are so much more than a city, because you are the place that I first found myself.
            Though you are not my home, you are the place that I feel alive. At the end of the day, you are not where I reside, but you are the place that shall always be my escape. You are not where I was raised, but you, Tacoma, are the place where I have grown.

Whitney Miller
Student, Tacoma School of the Arts

No comments: