The News Tribune logo

Monday, October 19, 2009

Reshaping American History

Sunday, October 18, following the morning Masses at St. Therese in Seattle, members of the parish were offering various tasty tidbits for sale to cover the cost of the church's Christmas Filipino Celebration, Simbang Gabi. Here is a picture of two of the parishoners who were helping with this sale.














My Filipino friends have helped me through many a dark place over the years... work frustrations, career setbacks, deaths of friends and family members... and I have come to appreciate just a little bit some of my friends hopes and hurts.
Like so many other communities, the story of the American Filipino community has not become part of the ongoing education of every American citizen. These stories need to be told honestly and completely and to become part of our ongoing national convesation if we are to be ready to be sincere and creative members of our own country and the world.


So I asked one of the organizers to share her hopes and dreams with us. Here is what she said.

4 comments:

Stephanie Frieze said...

Looks like it was fun, Jospeh!

JosephMcG said...

I enjoyed the conversation... and did my best to convince the wonderful woman in the video that she spoke clearly, to the point, and with passion.

Kim Thompson said...

I so like to hear about your diverse and wonderful friends, Joseph.

Lorraine Hart said...

She spoke very eloquently of our need to know all the flavours that make our melting pot soooo gooood! Thank you Joseph.