The News Tribune logo

Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Travelling We Did Go

Off to Seattle on Sunday with one of my really close friends and on the way our conversation covered old memories, present concerns, and future hopes.
And at seven fifteen on a bright spring morning I was surprised to see an adventurous traveler on his way to some place that I could not even begin to fathom.

Why? Because I do not have the courage to even think about heading merrily down the freeway on a motorcycle. Really I would prefer to be in a tank on some busy hustling let's get going days. I know I can't get my head into the courage and the happiness and the skill of a person who hits the freeway on a bike... and, second reason... I rarely can get my thinking around why I do what I do... so mind reading is not one of my gifts.So I salute this gentleman who was gracefully moving on down the road and probably not even thinking that the weird guy in the car he had passed a minute or so before would put any energy into wondering who he was, why the motorcycle, and where he was going. I salute him!






When my friend and I got to St. Therese the Ladies of Peter Claver (a group of Catholic women who are, predominantly, African American whose objectives are to support each other, to promote their own spiritual growth and the growth of others, and to join other groups in meeting the needs of the African American community is companionship, spiritual growth, and service in the Black Community) were sponsoring a bake sale to raise funds to support the educational and spiritual growth of black children. And one of the adventurous travelers with this group was this young handsome gentleman who, with a lot of hugs and kisses, managed to get through a morning and afternoon without doing serious damage to those adults and children who, following the Masses, came to the social hall to chat, drink some coffee, eat some goodies, and check out the bake sale... chocolate cake with walnuts, sweet potato pies, cookies, tarts... deeeelucious, that's for sure!
And this handsome young gentleman just kept his schoolmobile moving (gruuun, gruun, gruun) I know he was enjoying exploring. He did his best to get outside but the Ladies stopped him at the door, gave him a hug, and set him loose to maneuver through the foot traffic... I salute him too...
Do you think he would let me borrow his schoolmobile sometime?

4 comments:

Kim Thompson said...

Delightful post. Wouldn't it be cool to have an adult sized mobile like the one pictured and go around on it just for kicks? I'd do it!

JosephMcG said...

I love those bumper cars at carnivals... (I get pretty hot when someone rumbles into my bc... but I have not yet said anything nasty to my cruel assailants)

Stephanie Frieze said...

A fun post, Joseph. I've been on the back of a few bikes and it's a blast.

JosephMcG said...

I fell off a two wheeler when I was eight... that ended my biking...