The News Tribune logo

Saturday, May 23, 2009


Memorial Day is special to me because I was raised before it got turned into a retailer’s holiday. We got it off, whatever the day of the week, and it was about honoring those who served our nation and gave their lives for our country. It wasn’t about buying mattresses. Moving it to make a long weekend was a mistake.

I was happy this week when my son, a teacher at Clover Park High School in Lakewood, called us from school and told us to be sure to watch King5 news that night. The station was at the school covering the second year of the students making a memorial on the front lawn to those who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan. A white stick with the name of each fallen soldier was carefully placed to replicate Arlington Cemetery. Members of the public have stopped by and left remembrances. At least I know that those students have some understanding of Memorial Day and a visual representation of what our current wars have cost.

Thank you students of Clover Park High School, for acknowledging the true meaning of Memorial Day.

2 comments:

Lorraine Hart said...

I add my thanks to Clover Park High School!!

I send my love and heartfelt gratitude to all the families who have given the unthinkable, to try and make the world a better place.

Thank you. Peace be with you.

Kim Thompson said...

What an excellent activity to help the students learn and to aid our community's understanding and appreciation. Bravo!