The News Tribune logo

Thursday, May 7, 2009

This I Believe

NPR just completed a four year run of This I Believe, a revival of the Edward R. Morrow series of the 1950s. I’ve enjoyed listening to the episodes of essays written by Americans about what is important in their life.

More than once over the past four years I thought about writing down what I believe. Since I enjoy writing it seemed like a natural fit, but I had trouble crystallizing the overall factor that is at the root of everything I believe. So the run of This I Believe came to an end with no submission from me. Then I received a forwarded email that both raised my hackles and brought my life into focus so this is what I believe. If you are interested check out my beliefs.

4 comments:

Lorraine Hart said...

I have loved listening to that series...and I liked your essay for it Stephanie!

Stephanie Frieze said...

Thank you, Lorraine. I loved that series, too. I'm happy to have been able to turn something that at first felt so devastating into something positive.

Lorraine Hart said...

Love certainly brings its own magic into our lives.

Did you happen to catch that Michael J. Fox show, Wed. night? He very sweetly investigated optimism.

Those who struggle seem to find the sweet flavour in life.

Stephanie Frieze said...

No, I missed that, but my grandson gave my daughter-in-law Michael J. Fox's new book which I want to read when I get a chance. I can't believe that Limbaugh said that Fox fakes his shaking due to Parkinson's, but I saw the clip and he said it. What an idiot.