The News Tribune logo

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Gritty Mama Likes Crow

Many people I know don't like crows. I think I understand why. Crows can be aggressive and can kill other smaller birds. They are pretty gross--they eat just about anything. Of course they get a bad rap from Hitchcock, horror movies, and Halloween. And I think in some cultures, they are just bad karma.

But I like 'em. I think they are interesting. I especially enjoy the crows living in my yard lately.

Two crows built a large nest in my massive maple tree in the back yard. I watched them build their nest. Instead of picking up stray twigs, I watched them snap off little branches from the other maple tree. Then they would take the branch, hold it with their talons, and break it right in half. I am talking PERFECTLY in half. Then they'd gently glide over to the other maple and they'd expertly weave the sticks together with their beaks. Lucky me, as I got to see the process from my window. Too cool.

Even better, when the crows were out, I went outside and looked at the nest from the lawn. My crows had woven these pretty delicate purple flowers all around the nest! So not only are they smart, they are groovy, too.

Now that the nest construction is done and the maple leaves are all filled in, it's harder to see the nest. But my crows use my front yard as a feeding ground. They seem rather tame as well. They don't fly off when I get out of the car in the driveway. Today, my crow had a big bug in her mouth. I said to her, "Is that for your babies?" in a tone that was fit for talking to a human toddler or a small puppy. She just looked at me (gave a little nod--so it seemed) and flew back to the nest. Awesome!

Doesn't take much to amuse and delight me obviously.

6 comments:

Stephanie Frieze said...

I love crows. They are smart and keep the place picked up. I like raven's, too.

Lorraine Hart said...

Add me to the list of loving ravens and crows...very clever birds...can think ahead, work together and use tools.

I met a crow who had been saved by a young man as a baby...and he was a riot! He would find shiny stones and then come to 'trade' them for cat food!

I think it's great that you took the time to observe the daily life of some of our other relations in the neighbourhood!

Kim Thompson said...

I knew there was a reason I liked you two!

Stephanie Frieze said...

In a lot behind out beach house there is a big tree where a murder of crows congregate at night. I call it the crow -ree. It is really cool to see them. Sometimes they cover our lawn or the neighbors, ridding us of the bugs.

JosephMcG said...

You have a wonderful way of focusing in on and sharing in writing wonderful real moments...
Thank you, Kim

Kim Thompson said...

Thanks!

My crows have been BUSY! They seem frantic actually, feeding their babies. They don't stop and "chat." They fly off immediately to the nest.

Poor things are stressed by newborns. I get that.