The News Tribune logo

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Silence Is Golden


I sat out on the back deck of the Aerie very early the other morning, silent and still in the dewy dawn. The only man-made sounds were the cars that wind up the Key Peninsula Highway towards the city, work, and the bustle of the two-legged world. I let that sound and thought go while opening myself to the beginning of this natural day.

I love the early hours, after my husband leaves for Tacoma and before my daughter wakes up. I'm a lone wolf by nature and crave the sweet solitude to balance my inner Medicine Wheel. As I sipped my tea, I thought of Stephanie's post on silence...and the truth of her statement about the encroachment of loneliness for many within quiet reflection. Cut off from other people, they feel separate and abandoned...quickly reaching to pull company in through the radio, television, computer, or telephone.

Violet-green swallows began to quickly pen long and graceful prose on the golden haze above me, finches and sparrows the entering and exiting punctuation. A wee Anna's Hummingbird breakfasted on the butterfly bush not two feet from my left shoulder, a little colour-commentary. The sunlight began to pour into Joe's Bay like the tide, painting its oro aura around a Great Blue Heron that perched in the bare top branches of a giant maple. I'm often more lonely in a crowd of people than I am here, in the company of my wild relations and my self.

Our place in nature...and the silence...holds so much communication beyond stilted words, beyond the static of electronic waves. Here, the forgotten language of intent and connection opens doors to neglected rooms of the heart, mind and spirit. In this silence the wild ones come. In this silence I greet my wild self as a small but integral part of a bigger whole.

My eyes had closed with these last thoughts but now, heightened senses told me of a new presence in the garden. Slowly I opened my eyes and stared straight into the amber eyes of a beautiful buck. His four-point, velvety antlers shone olive and gold as a crown upon his head. A few feet from him stood a doe, chestnut in the coating sunlight. Relaxing, they resumed their tango around the garden, he with his stiff-legged approach, she with flirtatious high kicks.

In solitude I am gifted with sunlit company. In my own silence I am gifted with the symphony of a new turning of the earth. In the blue-lit pyramid of my heart, mind and spirit are all these connections that save me from the noise of Mankind's fears, that call me from my sleeping self into another day's dance.

5 comments:

Stephanie Frieze said...

Beautiful post, Lorraine! Thanks for sharing your morning's musings. To connect with nature and the world around us a mighty fueling for the day. Mornings, when the rest of the house is still asleep, is my favorite time of the day, too.

Kim Thompson said...

Gorgeous writing--alive, vibrant, sensuous. Yet relaxed, too. Ah...

My time would be consumed by watching all the wonderful birds on the Key Pen. It's a birder's PARADISE.

Enjoy!

JosephMcG said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful... thank you for inviting me to connect with what is real...

Lorraine Hart said...

How about this for a groovy update....

The violet-green swallows had babies and they flew for the first time last night!

Luckily Anna was on the back deck watching (I was elswhere, which will be revealed in the by and by) and saved one little guy (who forgot the flapping principle at first) from Jazzpurr the cat.

As the Aerie Turns...tune in next week....

Stephanie Frieze said...

A cliff hanger! I love it, Lorraine.