The News Tribune logo

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

TV Star Once Again!

On Monday morning, a friend of mine called to ask if I wanted to join her in the audience to watch our Pastor, Martin Yabroff as he performed an Episcopal service on Eucharist TV at the KING 5 TV studio. I could certainly work this into my schedule and I thought sure, this sounds adventurous. So on Tuesday morning Linda, Ruth, Reberta, Martin and I piled into Donna's van and headed off to Seattle. Driving our drive Martin explained each of us would also have a part in the live taping of Eucharist TV. Surprised but eager to partake, we all took roles we would normally participate in at our St. Andrew’s Church, Tacoma. But oh! Being on TV, now this would be different for us! Arriving at KING 5 studio, we walked into the lobby where four flat screen TVs on the left side caught our eye for only a moment when we noticed large photos of the KING 5 TV personalities on the right side, all which bore big smiles and were neatly autographed. Mike Jackson, Director of Eucharist TV met us in the lobby and took us to the studio. Mike directed us on how we were to walk into the scene, where to stand and gave us a bulletin which the service would be read from. Still nervous, Linda, Donna and I all mentioned if we knew were going to be on TV we would have worn a different outfit. Oh we women are so funny, what we wear is so important! Soon the taping began and the service was very similar to a regular service we would hold at our church, only condensed to fit into a 28 minute time frame. Once the first taping finished we had a short break and then taped a second service. Robotic cameras, studio lights, and of course the Spirit was all with us during this unique service where your current audience is only an empty studio. In the TV world, Eucharist TV has a viewing audience of over 4000 people in Washington and Canada ans is shown each Sunday on KONG TV. I will certainly add this to my resume of exciting life experiences. The services will be show at 5am on August 31st and September 7th. I encourage you to watch it!

5 comments:

Kim Thompson said...

Patty:

This is an adventure! You never cease to amaze me with your spirit!

And I am sure you looked fab, even though you didn't plan for this event!

Kim

Stephanie Frieze said...

No that's cool, Patty. I guess it trumps my birthday watching the Captain Puget show. I just had to watch!

JosephMcG said...

loved the line about the Spirit being there (ain't that the truth)
and just so touched by the enthusiasm that just glowed through your post... thanks...
Joseph

Anonymous said...

When our pastor, Father Forbes of St Mary's Episcopal of Lakewood, was asked to celebrate on Eucharist TV 30 years ago, I was the nervous 15 yr old acolyte, shivering and sweating under my alb, assisting the priest with his duties. When he asked if I would do it a second time, I jumped at the chance, seeing as I was an experienced TV acolyte. It was really fun, kind of exciting and something I could brag about to my friends. I didn't really realize back then what a comfort this show brought to those who are unable to get out to church. I'd dust off my alb and do it again, if asked!

Mizu Sugimura said...

Patty -

Did I miss something????When and where did you publish your complete resume of exciting life experiences? That's what I get for leading up the rear....