The News Tribune logo

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

TNT Loses TONS of Weight--What Gives?

I subscribe to the paper version of the daily TNT and itsSunday edition. This last week, I shook my head when I picked up the paper off the porch, as, well, er, it was the size of a "leaflet!"

My skinny little hometown newspaper. Kind of makes me sad. I understand the financial woes of print journalism, and that my nostalgia for the crisp morning paper is fading fast, but it's still hard to see.

What do you think of the paper's slimmed down look and feel? Where do you think the local newspaper business (print edition) is headed?

4 comments:

Lorraine Hart said...

We're definitely on the lip of change with how we get our information...and there's no stopping change in a universe that is always moving. I do share your nostalgia about the newspaper...but a lot of the thickness seemed to be advertising, to keep papers going.

We have an incredible little newspaper out here, the Key Pen News...and it is kept going by the community. I think newspapers may have a future on a smaller, community scale...written by and for members of that community.

Kim Thompson said...

I LOVE the Key Pen News! I am a regular reader actually. I agree, we may have to take on more of smaller, community-driven, grass roots model. I don't mind that really.

Stephanie Frieze said...

I agree with Lorraine. There will always be the need for small local papers, but too many people get their regional and national news from other sources. It is sad as we love newspapers at our house and I think of people like my mother who does watch TV, but has no access to the Internet.

Telephone books are another endangered species.

Lorraine Hart said...

Aaaaiiieeee...telephone books are the bane of my existence! I believe they procreate inkily and nest in my driveway! LOL!