The News Tribune logo

Monday, September 28, 2009

Bad As I Wanna Be

Gritty doggy, nearly 4 month old Kona (border collie pup) headed back to school the other day. Local South Sound dog training magicians, Positive Approach, served as our classroom. I was lucky enough to get Numia, our original dog whisperer and mentor to those with two legs and four legs (and vice versa).

So, how did Kona do this time?

Numia, calm but assertive, kind but directive, and very well spoken on all things dog, gave me the analysis and the exercises to see where we were at.

I have a confident dog. My dog is fearless. I have a well trained dog. My dog is cute and lovable. My dog is doggone smart. But....

My dog is not calm. My dog is not compliant. My dog can be as bad as she wants to be and I learned how she gets away with it. She's as manipulative as she wants to be. My dog is sassy. Major sassy.

So what to do?

With Numia's practical advice, I learned how to assert my position as the pack leader. We had our power struggles, however, in the end, Gritty Mama got ahead in the game (well, a little). We have a lot of work to do at home, but it will all be worth it. Kona was blown out exhausted. I have to admit, I was too.

We head back to school this coming Sunday for the "Leave It" workshop. Rest assured you'll all hear more.

1 comment:

JosephMcG said...

I find the picture you are painting of Kona's strengths and weaknesses most instructive...
(Gritty Mama, I think I may be learning about you than Kona????!!!)