The News Tribune logo

Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Diamond Jubilee



As a child of an officer in the Royal Air Force, I bounced around the eastern hemisphere for the first decade, following my father’s postings.  A special paper had to be drawn up, when I was born in Cyprus, during England’s occupation, proving I was “born on British soil,” making me a Brit, because the hospital was on an R.A.F. base.  Truth be told, though I felt the roots of family and history, England could sometimes feel as foreign as Southeast Asia.  Immigrating to Canada, now that required a major shifting of gears, for my second decade and then some, eh!  Still I stayed a Brit.

What, or in this case, who, was my constant?

My Queen is my country.

Everywhere I went in the world, there was Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.  I loved to see my father in his dress whites, ready to pilot the helicopter that would sometimes carry the Queen, Prince Philip, or Lord Mountbatten, when we were stationed in Malaysia and Singapore.  Even in Canada, there she was, my constant.  Dad was a civilian pilot by then, off in the bush nine months of the year.  Still she reigned over us and, as more feminist leanings arose in my teens, I was glad to see at least one woman with the power to bow my father’s head!

In a world of men and power, my Queen humbly gave her life in service, and has not stopped now, for sixty years.  In her lifetime of eighty-five years, the world hurled itself into the future and, though she never trained as a pilot, Her Majesty has flown the lead for her people.  I do not know of a dedication deeper than her’s, and I’m so happy to join in with others around the world, celebrating our Queen’s good heart and conscience.  She shows no signs of retiring, or even slowing down.  When folks begin discussions of her possible abdication, I smile, knowing she stated simply, that she gave us her life, whether it be short or long.

I’m not here for a discussion on monarchy, or to bite the hand of whoever signed the paper allowing me to live, work and pay taxes in America, after falling in love and marrying an American.  I’ve lived here longer than all other countries combined, exploring and loving this land.  Still, I’ve stayed a Brit.

My Queen is my country.  

Official Diamond Jubilee photo of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II
   

4 comments:

moira said...

Are you British by citizenship or just in your heart. My citizenship is still British. Not so much by choice as by setbacks involved in becoming American. Does it make you feel insecure by not becoming an American citizen. I have to admit it does me.

Stephanie Frieze said...

Wonderful post, Lorraine. I thought of you often watching all of the festivities. We need to get together for a nice cup of tea and chat!

Lorraine Hart said...

I am still a British citizen, re-upping my British passport, with Registered Alien Status, here in the States...which has always given me a giggle! *tucks her antennae and gills under hair*

I've gone back and forth many times, about becoming an American citizen. But I am a strange creature, who was often teased about being "British" and not "English," the latter requiring you be born in the UK.

I love all this earth, and I would rather have the attitude of keeping a guest's manners, while still jumping into this marvelous experiment of democracy. I decided a long time ago, to learn how to be secure within my own spirit, as the world spins beneath me.

May I ask, what makes you feel insecure about not becoming a citizen? By the way, I've always loved the name Moira. Do you have Scottish roots, or was your name just a lovely choice?

Thank you so much for writing, I hope we can talk some more.

Lorraine Hart said...

A four o' clock tea on my back deck, Stephanie? I'd love to show you the DVD of my mother's pictures.

One of the things I loved about the Queen's Jubilee was everyone sitting down to eat with one another, all across the country.