The News Tribune logo

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pentecost... ???....!!!

....



When I was a boy in Texas (1940-1952) I enjoyed going to church on Pentecost Sunday because when the service was over the whole family would come together for a big meal and then we would go to a movie.

In my seminary years I enjoyed worship on Pentecost because I was beginning to appreciate that God loved me and, if I did what I was told to do sincerely and as best I could, I would probably go to heaven after I died.


After Martin King was assassinated I enjoyed worship during the Pentecost Season because I was finding more and more people who were willing to work with me to make this world a better place for everyone.

Today I enjoy Pentecost because I am experiencing God loving me through the open, unconditional love women and men of all races share with me and the peace and joy I feel as I choose to unconditionally share my time and resources with other human beings.

What does Pentecost mean to you...