The News Tribune logo

Thursday, August 5, 2010

And The Hero of Jamaica Inn Is....

The director of the 1939 black and white classic... who kept me sitting on the edge of my very comfortable lounge chair as I watched this film. This director kept me shivering and quivering through a number of films (for example... here are two other Hitchcock movements that got me trembling when I first saw them--what would happen to Grace Kelly in Rear Window because the villain was about to open the door of his apartment where she had been nobly searching for a clue that would identify the woman whom he had killed there... Psycho... Janet Leigh killed before the movie was half way over... OH NO!)?



Charles Laughton, about whose wonderful acting career I know so little. If I had been watching this film in a theatre, each time he began speaking I would have started hissing... if my teenage friend, Peggy, had been with me, she would have had to hold me down, because I would have probably wanted to leave the theatre and go out front because I just wanted to start yelling and cursing at the wonderfully portrayed arrogant self-centered, hypocritical, very dangerous character Laughton was creating...






How about Robert Newton. He played Long John Silver in the film, Treasure Island, and wonderful recaptured the role in a television series. To do serious damage to a long ago song: "He's the one who'll save the day. Robert Newton (cut and banged up) is on his way."?a
a. theme music for Mighty Mouse cartoons








Maureen O'Hara?
As she did in so many other many films I saw back in my oh so callow youth, got my heart rate going so fast, it's a wonder I survived my childhood/teenage years!!!
The character she created in this film definitely had my concern and deep allegiance... I applauded every step she took....


My choice...
Not Important
Your choice priceless
You can get the use of this film for a week at the Main Library, Tacoma, Washington.


6 comments:

Stephanie Frieze said...

I love this movie...actually most any older movie. I really enjoy Turner Classic Movies channel and consider it well worth the extra cost on our cable bill, but of course the library is an excellent place to get movies, especially since the video stores are shutting down right and left. My mother and I have watched several this summer that I'd never seen even though TCM is my favorite channel. Thanks, Joseph.

I vote Maureen O'Hara. I enjoy her in so many films, especially those with the Duke!

JosephMcG said...

That's ONE VOTE for Maureen...

Kim Thompson said...

Joseph, I think, if you are feeling so inclined, you should do a blog on classic movies. Seriously! I think you'd get a lot of readers!

JosephMcG said...

I shall start it this weekend, Kim
Thank you...

JosephMcG said...

http://coolflixes.blogspot.com is now operative...
It's name is Have You Seen
and my first blog focused on Frankenstein's Cat, a six minute cartoon on You Tube, starring...
MIGHTY MOUSE

Thanks Kim

Kim Thompson said...

Readers/Bloggers: this blog is so fun! Check it out!