Frank Sinatra above is from a concert he performed in 1986. Did you know that Frank Sinatra came to Tacoma and performed at the Tacoma Dome in the month of April in 1986? I know that he did! Here's why.
My mom and uncle have been going through my late grandma's estate and found some editions of The Tacoma News Tribune. Most of them were around big national events, just the front section only. But we got a treat! Mom found one more recently. It featured Mr. Sinatra's visit to Tacoma in April of 1986. As an eighties kid, I found this front section fascinating. Here's what I found beside Sinatra's visit:
The Tacoma News Tribune masthead was light lavender!
Front page news:
1. Sinatra rekindles days of youth
2. Tort reform signed governor unchanged
3. 19 hurt, others feared dead in San Francisco fire
4. Two underground groups claim they caused Mexican crash
Clear with patchy morning fog. Highs from 60-65 degrees.
Some People news:
1. Gregory Peck turns 70 years old.
2. John Cougar Mellencamp was nervous about playing a show in Tempe, Arizona because he got hit in the with a whiskey bottle there four years earlier.
1. A full living room set is priced at $599 (sofa, two chairs, coffee table).
2. The Shrine Circus is in town!
3. An orthopedic mattress that adjusts is priced at $350 for a queen size.
4. Sewing machines were retailing for $199.00.
5. Sonics vs. Dallas this week.
6. $4.39 gets an adult a full dinner buffet at the Kings Table Buffet at four locations in Tacoma.
7. Leather, high end cowboy boots were $39.98.
A sampling of the movies playing:
1. Pretty in Pink
2. Gung Ho
3. The Color Purple
The television stations noted in the paper:
KOMO, KING, KIRO, KCTS, KSTW, KCPQ, KTZZ, CBUT, ESPN, WTBS, USA, CTEN, HBO, SHO, DIS
What was on at 8:00 PM on network stations (Saturday, April 5, 1986)?
ABC: Charlie Hannah
NBC: Gimme a Break
CBS: Crazy Like A Fox
One sample of one of the published letters to the editor:
Daffodil Festival needs help
(Hmmm....I think we've seen that one before folks!)
Who remembers Percy Ross Thanks a Million?
Thanks for time traveling with me!